College Hill Center

The College Hill Center is a group of historic buildings that sit at the top of College Street. What began as the Brownsville Baptist Female College in 1851 is now the center of the Brownsville Historic District. After also serving as a training school for boys around the turn of the century, the building was purchased by the county and became Haywood High School in 1911 until the present high school opened in 1970. Class portraits of the many Haywood Countians who graduated during these years still line the halls. Today the Center houses the Haywood County Historical Museum, Morton Felsenthal’s Abraham Lincoln collection and the Haywood County Sports Museum.

The center has a full kitchen and a meeting room that will seat from 90 to 110 people. Several local organizations hold regular meetings there, and the space can be rented for a small fee by contacting the Parks & Recreation Department.

The College Hill campus also includes the historic Ann L. Marks Performing Arts Theater, the College Hill Cafeteria, the Brownsville Haywood County Boys & Girls Club and the Brownsville-Haywood County Senior Center. Also on the campus, there are four tennis courts with lights and a ball field that are for public use.